Sunday, November 8, 2009

Bisexual, heterosexual, homosexual, who cares?!



 I am thinking to write my philosophy IA about sexual identity. Is it interesting, and sometimes even quite absurd, that sometimes pretend to define our selves withing a single category. For example, how many words do we have to classify some one according to his/her sexuality preference, heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual, transvestite, transgender, transsexual, heteroflex, homoflex, (yeah and no, I am not inventing them) heterocurious, homocurious, an so on... It is ironic that to define our selves gives us a feeling of security. We pretend to know ourselves just by being able to put us into a category but sometimes we are doing the contrary.
According to Judith Butler, our sexual identity is socially constructed. I agree with her in the sense that yes, may be society makes us believe that to have a single sexual identity is the best for us. However, I think that we are the ones who classify our selves and no society in itself.
For example, some queer philosophers think that we can choose between being homosexual and heterosexual. Would not being contradictory if there is some one who says that s/he is homosexual but then that person likes some one of his/her other gender. However, s/he decides to do not do anything because s/he is gay?
As I said in one of my previous posts, people change and it is inevitable and sometimes even healthy.
Often we come with new ideas of how to put our selves into a kind of box according to the our preferences. One day I was thinking, ok who do I like. Then, after expending lot of time thinking about it, I realize that I was completely wasting my time because I might change my decision tomorrow.
I am not pretending to say that we should not try to find a single position. What I am trying to say is that we want to it we should do it because we really feel prepared and not because we think it is the best thing to do. And, if we change later on our decision, bah! it is fine! WE CHANGE! and we should know our selves enough to accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment