Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Shock Dotrine. I do not like the word normality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSF0e6oO_tw&feature=PlayList&p=512258BC6AB06162&index=4&playnext=3&playnext_from=PL


I found this video when I was searching for a song in youtube. It talks about how Shock therapy was used by the CIA at the beginning as a strategy to control prisoners. It was used to bring them into a childlike state. Last year, when I was in Calcutta during my project week, I went to one of the Mother Teresa NGO. One day I want to a kind of open discussion with some of the volunteers and the priest of the place. He told us that the patience where receiving electro shock therapy. I asked him why and he simply said that it was to bring them in a 'normal state'. Ha! When he told me that, I had the impulse to kick him.

Why sometimes do we focus so much in trying to make someone to think or behave according to the codes of behavior? How much price does a 'mentally sick' person spends to give the impression that he or she is normal. May be the abnormal people are those focused in finding a cure for 'mental defects'.

There are people suffering just because they do not fit in the moral standard of their society. They are considered as outsiders sometimes because they do not follow the mass.

Do we have the right to coerce some one, even if it implies to inflict pain, because we think it is the best for that person? positive LIBERTY, negative LIBERTY? I do not know which one is better, if there is a bad or a good one. It was interesting, and quite funny I must say, the fact that I was discussing with one of my philosophy classmates about which was the best situation in which we could coarse some one, when should we be allowed to do it and which kind of liberty, according to Isaiah Berlin. It is not that I am too lazy to talk about positive liberty or negative liberty and I known that his argument was not only based on the necessity of pretending to have a normal state for everything in order to keep order or security in society. However, I raise this question before posting something bout it: Do we even know ourselves enough in order to make a decision upon some one?


Sorry but I think we should not unless the persons gives us his or her consent and I think we should stop finding a single patron or a single structure for every thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment