Monday, November 23, 2009

Tibetan Fair. Utilitarianism Ab initio.

This last Sunday the Tibetan Club organized a kind of fair to raise awareness and collect founds. They were trying very hard to promote it by showing the things that they were selling. I remember that I wanted to contribute with their cause but I also wanted to get something from it. In he end, I was not sure if I was more happy because I helped or because I added to T- shirts to my closet.
I know that they did a great job (guys if you are reading this, well done!) and collected a lot of money. However, the way in which it was promoted made think about how utilitarian sometimes we can be.
Most of the time, we are specking something from our actions. For example, I may never start writing in a blogspot if I will not receive a grade from it. Nietzsche said that we should separate the doer from the deed, he said it in relationship with punishment and guiltiness but I bring that idea into a more materialistic and utilitarian level (assuming that it can be possible). We are waiting for an expected consequence of our actions. Any ways, is there any action which does not have a consequence? I think there is not.

A problem can be when we think that these consequences should be material. However this notion of materialism (or should I say consumerism?) helps, ironically, to found activities…






No comments:

Post a Comment