Monday, November 23, 2009

Ring rang, your mom is calling you.



One of my roommates receives a call from her family every day. I do not have an issue with it but she talks in the room even when there is someone sleeping. I never tell her anything but every time that it happens I ask too my self why do I need to hear her private conversations? I know that she has the right to talk with who ever she wants but why IN MY ROOM. However, I cannot tell her anything because we divided our room in such way that each of us has a corner as a mini room. Therefore, what ever we do in our corner is own our business.
Mmmmm, but sound travels through waves, right? So, if she is talking in her corner, this sound will ‘travel’ into my corner. Should I then construct a wall between us to do not allow the air/smell/sound get into my OWN PERSONAL CORNER?
 Being in MUWCI I realized how much importance one gives to one’s personal space. Sometimes, I feel that we defend it as if it was the thing which gives meaning to our life. We are so obsessed with the space that belongs to us that we do not realize that the concept of personal space is sometimes an abstract concept. For example, I was in a discussion for philosophy class about what should be considered when laws are created. I mentioned that the personal space of the individuals affected by these laws should be respected. What did I mean by that? Mmm I am not sure now. Perhaps, freedom of speech? Nope, that does not really exist or, at least, it cannot be brought into practice in a community as MUWCI. Privacy? Mmmm sometimes when I am right in front of my house I can hear when someone is in the bathroom.
We do not really have a private space in our corners. For instance, when my roommates talk by receive a call in the room I could say that they are not respecting my personal space. I could even say that I am not respecting their personal space since I hear their conversations. Can I avoid that? Yes, I may can but it is very difficult thing to do. Why? Because personal space does not really exist. Is not something that is trapped in a box that we can carry with us. However, at least, I like to think that there is something that no one can take away from me, therefore, I will continue pretending that I cannot listen to my roommate’s conversations and that my corner is the sacred place in MUWCI.

No comments:

Post a Comment